UN Condemns Suicide Attacks In Damboa, Borno State

UN Condemns Suicide Attacks In Damboa, Borno State

United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator in Nigeria, Ms Myrta Kaulard, has condemned Saturday’s twin suicide attacks in Borno that left dozens of people dead and scores injured.

The Damboa attack was one of the deadliest the town had ever witnessed, she said in a statement issued in Abuja by Mr Abiodun Banire, the National Public Information Officer, UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

“Our deepest condolences go to the families of the victims in Damboa and to the Government and people of Nigeria. We wish the injured speedy recovery; civilians consistently bear the brunt of the conflict.

“Over 200 women, children and men have now been killed in indiscriminate attacks in the North-East since the beginning of the year, including in the town of Mubi last month in Adamawa State.

“I urge the Government of Nigeria to further step up protection of people.”

Kaulard said UN and the International Committee of the Red Cross had air-lifted 11 of the critically wounded persons from Damboa to Maiduguri by helicopter to facilitate emergency medical treatment. (NAN)

Categories: Hot Gist, News

About Author

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*